Saturday, May 13

weird tourist


Today while sitting in the cabin on the pier with Laras mum (they do boat trips), a man walked up to us . This is the conversation they had, Imagine it being played out rapidly , like a table tennis match:

Man: What are you doing here?
Val: Er, selling boat trips.
Man: Selling what?
Val: BOAT trips.
Man: Well, where are the boats?
Val: Er,out on trips.
Man: Why is your English so good?
Val: Because I am English.
Man: And you live in Italy?
Val: Yes.
Man: For how long?
Val: Many years.
Man: You like it here?
Val: Yes, that's why I'm still here.
Man: You know , I studied American history at school because I am 100 percent American, but now I wish I had studied world history because you guys sure have a lot of history here in Italy.
Val: Er, yes, we do.
Man: Wasn't the Italian Empire like taken over or something?
Val: Yes, more than once.
Man: Who by?
Val: Well, there were the Greeks and the...
Man: Did they actually fight?
Val: Er, yes of course..
Man: What happened to the Emperor?
Val: What do you mean?
Man: Well, did he die?
Val: Um, of course he did at some point, everyone dies.
Man: I'm going to Rome next, I hear there's lots of history there?
Val: Yes, there are lots of things to see in Rome, the Colosseum..
Man: Oh, yeah, I heard of that.

The conversation continued...All I can say is respect to Val, she sure has a lot of patience!

3 comments:

  1. wow. what a shmuck! the tourist i mean of course. he's "heard of" the colosseum. he's making us yankees look bad! i don't think it's b/c he studies american history either...i think we lack world history education for lower schools and prioritizing staying informed about affairs of the world. Okay I am getting way too political...god bless your friend for putting up with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rome? uh, yeah, i hearda that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what to say. A basic guide book could have answered all his questions.

    In my public high school we did cover world history, so not sure what's up with homeslice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...