Tuesday, July 25

time flies


Three and a half years ago I came home from the hospital holding a brand new squidgy baby. It was very scary because I had never so much as held a baby before, and I had no idea what to do with her. So when she cried , I cried. Luckily Carlo laughed and showed me what to do. I was shocked by how much of my time was taken up caring for this little person that was smaller than the cat.

I couldn't wait for her to get bigger and more independent. My mum told me not to wish her life away, she would grow so fast I wouldn't believe it.

Mum was right. Three years later I am the mother of a precocious pseudo teenager. She will only wear pink knickers, the others are tossed aside in disdain. She has a crush on Antonio, her Daddys friend, who is 27 years older than her. When she sees him coming she runs to me in a panic, “ Mummy! It's Antonio! I need lipstick, quick mummy!”. She flirts with him, blushing and batting her lashes.

Antonio came and joined us for lunch the other day. She gazed at him from across the table, trembling slightly. She then delicately laid her hand on my arm and whispered in my ear, “Mummy, I have to get down now. I have to go and touch Antonio.”

I want my squidgy, nappy bottomed, chubby thighed baby back. I am not ready to be the mother of a teenager yet...

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful baby girl. Your mom is right - they grow up too fast! If you need a sitter next summer I know a middle-aged (but cool) school teacher/mommy who would love to spend the summer in Positano taking care of her!!!!
    Gen

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have to go and touch Antonio.” OMG, that just cracked me up!!!!!

    What a precious doll, you are very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so beautiful!

    Kids do grow up quickly (I have witnessed this in my friend's children). Cherish the moments you have with her at this age. No matter how old she is, she will always be your baby girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wait, before you know it she's about to start school. You have a couple of wonderful years ahead, I personally thought that the years between 1 and 4 were tough, but having a 6-yo is amazing. It's a little scary though to realize that he's not our baby anymore, but an own person with own thoughts and ideas and opinions. I can't wait for Alexander and Poppy (oops almost wrote Poopy *lol*) to meet, even though they don't speak the same language I have a feeling that they will enjoy each others company!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is soooo funny! And your daughter is beautiful.

    Now, about Antonio...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad my daughter waited until she was 13 for this!
    I couln't have handled her being in love with anyone but me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. she is just precious...
    I am not in ove with the idea of her being so flirty already but looking at her makes my heart just MELT.
    Enjoy every second of her life...I try to do that wiht Noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Antonio ?? Not bad at all !!
    Good taste for a beginner .
    Kids grow up very fast and the worse thing of it is that you sometime have the impression you are already missing something !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told you she'd grow up too fast! But you are still my baby and I love you even more! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooo, i want an antonio to touch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, well at least you cann appreciate that for now, that statement is innocent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's lovely!

    And you give me hope - I'm freaked out about babies, never as much as held one, always been the only child and look at them with uttermost suspicion (spit happens). But maybe I'll come around...? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...