Wednesday, August 9

Mirabella V


I saw her sailing in from a distance, and impressed everyone with my knowledge, for I recognised her immediatly as the 'Mirabella v', the largest single masted yacht in the world, with the largest sail. I had a hour of 'yacht-geekness' on the pier, everyone was asking what it was and who she belonged to and for once I knew the answers. She belongs to the owner of Avis, (you know, rent-a-car). She was launched in 2004 and sailed here from England. Now she is back.

I know this because one morning, in 2004, while sipping my tea and munching on toast and jam, sitting at the table in my parents huge comfy kitchen, I came across an article in the newspaper. My eyes locked into the word 'Positano', and I came to read about this new superyacht that was about to be launched and sail to Pos on its maiden yoyage. A week later, I was back in Positano and watched while the Mirabella v sailed into the bay. Yesterday when I saw her sail in, I had a flash memory...of eating toast and reading the papers at my parents house..

8 comments:

  1. Isn't she lovely? In my fantasy life I live on a yacht, sailing wherever I feel like it. Sigh.....

    Did you know that the further North in the UK you were brought up, the more likely it is that toast will be your favourite breakfast food? How's that for knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got such great weather over there, and here I am, rusting away. It's pouring down, looks like the thunderstorm of the century's heading out way and damn it, with my luck I'll probably get hit by lightning...

    Jealous, me? Not at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning yacht! I've got to start going to Positano in August, all the good stuff seems to happen then....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful yacht! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. heart of darkness, come a few miles further north and experience lovely summer weather! Sunny and warm... perfect! :)

    That boat... the other boats look like toys in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, silly, that was ME on MY yacht! Just kidding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. uuuh good one- goose bumps- how things in life can be related in a way that can't even be imagined. well now when Avis guy reads your blog he'll know what memmory his boat triggered

    btw what jam was it? ginger jam by chance??

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, blackberry jam. My Dads spediality. He goes roaming the local woods and picks the berries..Rather than make jam, he magically transforms them int spreadable blackberries!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...