Friday, August 11

a sense of relief


Yesterday at about 5pm we went to a beach bar on Fornillo beach. There was a DJ, playing feel-good music while the sky turned pink and the lights began to glimmer. There was a big punchbowl of Caphirina, children running around on the beach, impromtu dancing and a generally relaxed atmosphere. I sat by myself at a table, waiting anxiously for a phonecall. Skye shimmied past, dancing to the music, arms waving in the air. Champagne bottles were opened and poured into plastic cups, a birthday cake was brought out with a lit sparkler, crackling and fizzing on the top. A crowd gathered as birthday greetings were given to the owner of the bar.

I sat, distracted, waiting for my phone to spring to life. Carlo appeared, dripping water and shivering after his swim. “Anything?” he asked me. “Nothing yet” I replied. He dried himself roughly, with a sarong and helped himself to a couple of slices of cake. He passed one to me and I managed to take a bite before Skye appeared like magic and wolfed down the rest of my slice. Two Spanish women were dancing, their long skirts whirling and flapping. They called me over. I went to chat with them briefly, they smelt of limes. They had been crushing limes and ice all afternoon for the Caphirinas.

I walked back to my table and saw that a message had arrived on my phone. My stomach flipped. I felt a small jolt of fear and opened the message as quick as I could. After six months of fear, worry, tears and helplessness, it was over. The message, from my mum read:

No more chemo, ALL CLEAR! Fone later xxx.

My eyes filled with tears of relief. I ran to Carlo and threw myself at him, hugging him far too tightly. I told a friend who knew. She hugged me and thrust a cocktail into my hand. "Drink this for your mum and tell her that we're all celebrating for her!" she said, dancing away to the music...

13 comments:

  1. Niki, this is the kind of news that makes me cry and laugh, all at the same time. I don't know you personally but God bless with such a relief.
    I am so happy for you
    Relax and enjoy the rest of the summer, I believe you have a whole new perspective now, don't you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful news! I'm so happy that everything will be okay. It's like a new start for you and your family! :)

    Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT! i'm so happy that you got some good news:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you received this news, you must feel like a great weight has been lifted off your shoulders. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!!! Nicki I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR MOM!!!! I'm in tears now, I know how hard this has been for you... BIG HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great news! I went through the same thing with my moither so I understand what that message felt like. And, might I say, nicely told.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! I am so happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad she beat it - funny how a stranger can provide the best news I've read all day. Cheers to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for mummy.....so glad it's all finally over.
    She looks fab anyway and is my biggest inspiration for any bad things that happen...and yours too I know.....love dan xx
    YAY for mummy - hip hip hooray... love u xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing like hearing GOOD NEWS! I know you love your Mom. I am so glad for you and just to let you know I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, much love and congratulations for your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching post, you brought tears to my eyes. I can not imagine what you and your family have been going through. Glad to hear it has all ended with wonderful news.

    Wishing you all the best of health.
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. what great news!!! i'm soo happy for you and your family. we are going through a very similar thing with my family, and i've gone through similar phone calls lately as well. glad to hear that your mother will be fine!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...