Thursday, August 17


We met up on the pier at twilight, 14 friends, some who live here, some who come and visit every year. The town was still very busy after the festivities of the day before. We had decided to escape from the crowds and spend an evening at sea.
Shoes kicked off, stretched out on the boat cushions, the warm air rushing past our faces,this is what summer is all about. Bottles of Prosecco were opened, sighs of happiness were heard and paradise was mentioned.
We stopped for dinner in a small fishing village down the coast. The table groaned with food, surely there was no space for more? But more arrived. Fried zucchini flowers, marinated salmon,.

grilled eggplant, buffalo mozzerella, ricotta and salami tarts, melanzane parmeggiano, spaghetti con zucchini, homemade pasta with seafood, almond cake with vanilla icecream and jugs of wine with peaches. A toast was made to friendships and happiness.

We climbed back onto the boat and set off towards home. Thousands of stars lit up the night sky and everybody lay down to gaze into the sky. Amid the hum of the engine, there were occasional shouts of delight as shooting stars were spotted. We lay there in companiable silence, knowing that this was one of those magic evening that we will remember for always.

12 comments:

  1. lucky me, again...
    I know exactly the feeling so delicately described by you and OH BOY isn't that AMAZING!
    Cherish it, that's the only things that stay the same for ever, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats fahhhbulous! and omg the food!!! did you guys make it all or bought it? and was Poppy at home with the "che palle" babysitter girl?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely evening!

    When I first read the title, I thought it said NO good friends, and I thought, that's odd that she has a picture of all these happy people but no good friends! Oops, time to clean my contact lenses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooooooooooooooooh that sounds wonderful!! And beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heard that you had a perfect night! Everyone looks gorgeous in the photo! Wish I had of been there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Melissa! Antonio was asking if you were coming this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Antonio?!? My Antonio?!? Who are you Anonymous?? Nope, not coming this year. Will definately come next year. Antonio is always welcome in Australia....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm anonymous, I hit the wrong button!I saw him at the carpark and he wanted to know when you were coming!I got your text, as usual forgot to reply, sorry!I'll tell Antonio to head on over to Oz then...

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is definately a strange one Antonio. Still one of the great loves of my life though so please tell him that I said Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is definately a strange one that Antonio.... can't work him out. Still one of the great loves of my life though, so please tell him that I said Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a feast! sounds like you had a wonderful night out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...