Friday, September 22

very hungry caterpillers


Yesterday, I brought Carlo home. He wouldn't let me call the Porters to carry him up the 160 steps from the road to the apartment. He decided he could do it himself with crutches.After 10 days in bed, 3 fractures, an operation involving a metal bolt 2 days before, I didn't think it was a wise thing to do. But he did insisted and huffed and puffed his way up the steps, only to collapse on the sofa and moan about his hurting muscles for the next few hours.

It is nice to have him home, but it is even nicer to know that I will not have to do that horrendous drive to the hospital and back any more. After not driving for years, I had to drive on the coast road (which frightens most people) with its sheer cliffs plunging towards the sea, scary motorways where drivers have no manners and drive 1cm from the back of your car. I had to drive through torrential rainstorms and rivers of mud and rubble that slide down the mountainside after the heavy rain, and avoid big pieces of cardboard flapping around in the road, threatening to jump onto the windscreen and block my view.

While preparing lunch, I realised that for a while I will have to do everything, all the things that he would normally do. As I was washing some broccoli, a caterpiller fell out and wiggled around the sink. “Bleugh!” I said, flicking it down the plughole. I looked closer at the broccoli and realised that most of the caterpillers in Italy were in it, they were everywhere. Normally he would have come to my rescue and taken over...but not now. I had to deal with it all by myself. So we had boiled caterpillers for lunch. Did you know that boiled caterpillers go all rigid and straight? We didn't eat them, don't worry, we just stacked them neatly on the side of our plates.

Carlo's mother very kindly came over and brought dinner for us. It was a type of cauliflower cheese with bechemel sauce and bits of ham in it. It was very nice until we found a caterpiller in it. Guess what I didn't eat for dinner? And there's loads of it too. Maybe I can offer it to any visitors?

10 comments:

  1. Ah, a woman's work is never done, Nicki. Congratulations on Carlo's homecoming. But more importantly, you should be proud of conquering the Amalfi Coast road AND figuring out childcare AND simultaneously staying sane throughout all of this. Brava! (And if you accidently digested any caterpillars, just think of it as getting some "bonus" protein!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear Carlo is back. You are a strong woman Niki. Not sure which is worse, that drive on the coast or finding caterpillars in my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet picture of Carlo & Poppy...I am so glad he's back home now. I wish him a speedy recovery.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear he's finally back home! Being near you and Poppy will be the best thing for his recovery!

    But I think I would rather attempt driving on the Amalfi Coast (which I *will* do someday) than deal with caterpillers in my food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, I'm with Kali on this one. Although, in some countries they do eat caterpillars and grasshoppers and dogs and brains and other things that make me sick just thinking of them.

    When all of this is through, and Carlo is back to normal again, you my dear deserve a vacation. You'll be so tired, you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story, Nikki, but if you'd rather eat brocolli and cauliflower, fill a big bowl with heavily salted water and plunge them in it for a few. The buggies can't wait to get out.
    Then rinse and proceed.
    Learned that from my mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    glad your man's back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. just mix them in with noodles, no one will notice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about Carlos' leg :( I hope he's up and about soon!

    Long time, no talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with everything, my goodness really - Caterpillers? YUKKKK!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...