Wednesday, October 18

odds and ends

The other evening we had our last summer evening boat trip along the coast. Skye came with us for the first time. She lay down on the cushions and stargazed all the way there, then fell asleep and stayed asleep throughout dinner. Perfectly behaved!

I sat next to a man who told us how he had survived the tsunami. He had been at a little airport, about to board a plane when the wave hit. He saw his own suitcase float past, so grabbed onto it and rode out the wave floating on his samsonite.

We've moved back home. It was lovely to stay down on the beach for a while, but its nice to be home too. Down on the beach we had visitors every evening and dinner parties on the terrace. At home, our guests have gone and it's just us.

Skye asked me to paint her 'finger-snails' pink, she also wanted 'apricorns' for lunch which she tells me is the proper word for prawns.

The rooster seems to have mysteriously vanished from outside my bedroom window, which is a very good thing.

I'm ready for winter. I am looking forward to the first waft of woodsmoke on the air, cosy sweaters and hot bubble baths, pomegranates and satsumas, England and frost. I've had enough of tourists, crowds, flip flops and sand.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine what it feels like to have had enough of summer. Even after this summer, which was extraordinary and lasted like ten times the normal Swedish summer, I still feel really sad and don't want it to end.
    Rumor has it that we'll get snow tomorrow. I hope not. I, for one, am certainly not ready for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Nicki, I'm looking forward to the change of season and all the new season comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't imagine any weather in beautiful Italy not being wonderful. Was there this past summer to visit my parents' ancestral village and found family I hadn't even known existed - including my dad's two brothers, still alive though he's been gone for 20 years. We basked in the sun, but on the dining room wall was a huge print of the village (Barrea, in L'Aquila, Abruzzo) in winter. beautiful, though I wouldn't want to drive out of those mountains in snow...
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...