Wednesday, October 4

Sleep deprivation


Opposite our bedroom window there is a garden. A vegetable garden complete with a scarecrow, that is tenderly cared for by a man who spends every afternoon there, weeding and pruning. He arrives, switches on his tinny radio and happily gardens away, occasionally stopping to lean on his spade and chat with the Lady-in -the-house-below, out on her balcony.

But, this man doesn't live near his garden, his house is further downtown, nestled in a quiet woddy corner. It is possible that he doesn't realise the torture that he has inflicted on us residents, opposite his garden.

For he has bought a rooster.

“Cock-a doodle-doo!”
A clever rooster that pronounces cock-a-doodle-doo perfectly.
In a VERY LOUD VOICE.
Approximately 3 metres away from my bedroom window.
Starting at about 4.30am, then 5am, then 5.30am, then 6...you get the idea.
Even Skye, after the initial excitement of seeing a real live rooster outside her bedroom window, now groans when she hears it and replies, “cock-a-doodle-don't!”

I am convinced, that even though the creature is within throttling distance, it is actually a prize winning bird with the loudest crow in the world. If I had a gun, I would shoot it without hesitation (sleep deprivation, you understand). While the man-with-the-garden is happily snoring away downtown, in our house we are all lying wide-eyed, tensely praying that the scraggly bird that averages 6 cock-a-doodles every half hour, will finally shut up.

This morning Carlo and I flung open the bedroom windows to see if we could find the damm bird and knock it out with a saucepan or something. But the horrid creature hid behind a tree and crowed so hard that we were flung back onto the bed by the force of it.

I could , I suppose, confront the man-with-the-garden and ask him nicely to find a new home for the rooster. I could ask him if he would spend the night in the spare bedroom so that he could experience it for himself. But what if he said no? This war is between me and the rooster.
How long, do you think it would take me to learn to use a catapult?

14 comments:

  1. Interesting blog , keep up the good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can provide a rifle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicki, I did not mean you look old and wrinkled...what I meant is that I could tell right away it was your dad from features, expression, same eyes...do I need to tell you he's old and you're absolutely young and stunning??? Thought you knew that already...in fact I did tell you before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading about the amalfi coast brings back some memories - i got married in amalfi

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is off the subject - but what happened to the posts from 9/23 to 10/1. Your "our story" is great, its like reading a book you can't put down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say 'rooster au vin' is nice....

    ReplyDelete
  7. With a bit of luck it's going to be Xmas dinner this year! mom x

    ReplyDelete
  8. remember, the son of sam said he killed all those people because of the barking dog. You can remind the gardner of that fact. hehe I totally agree with you - that would be hell. You might check, because maybe the chickens aren't allowed in that area - zoning and all. I would tell him - don't wait another day. Tell him it is waking you all up - most importantly your poor child. You know how italians are about kids. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha- just learn the art of INJECTION so you can accidentally inject the rooster with something yuky like poison or whatever... just be like... oh i was walking and fell and injected this bird with something... oppsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That rooster sucks!!! I'm sooooo not a morning person so that rooster would not be popular with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have three words for you...Coq au vin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. I feel your pain but at least it's only one rooster. My parent's neighbors have roosters and there are a many wild ones in the mountains. They are very, very loud.

    You should talk to you neighbor...but something tells me you are stuck with your living alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. makes me remember when I was in Petersfiled a small village in the british countryside (let's compare it to NOcelle!): there was EVERY MORNING a natural alarm clok for my boyfriend and me!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Matts idea of a slingshot with small 'peddles'! I'll use the ones on Poppys bike!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...