Wednesday, November 29

life


On the front page of most of the newspapers here in the UK, is the story of a young city lawyer who was stabbed to death for his mobile phone by 2 teenagers. Here is a link if you want to read about it in the Telegraph. When I first read about this, last year, I was skimming through the article, barely paying attention. Then I read Toms name and stopped short. He was in my class at school when I was younger. I vividly remember him cheekily standing on a desk, ready to jump off as soon as the teacher arrived.
He had everthing going for him, a fantastic job, marriage plans and then along came two idiots and killed him for no good reason.

I was going to write about how life in Positano is in the winter months. Everything is closed, the bars, restaurants and shops. If it rains for days at a time there is nowhere to go and nowhere to take the children to releive their boredom. Many locals go away, and many seem to hibernate all winter long.

But reading about what happened to my old classmate brings everthing into a different perspective. Life in a small coastal village really is quite idyllic. There is hardly any crime, let alone murder. There is sunshine and lemons, a beach where you can always meet someone you know to chat with. There are mountain paths to climb and explore, winter festivals and shows to watch and go to, log fires to sit in front of when the wind howls outside, good wine and good food. Living in a city can be fast paced and fun, but it seems these days it can also be life risking.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Niki, this is manuela. First of all one thing which has nothing to do with the post you just wrote: I want you to know that since I found your blog I can't stopo reading it and not merely 'cause I come to Positano on holiday and I know the locals, the gossips going on andother stuff...no, Niki this is not the reason. Of course at the beginning it was but it is no longer the main reason. The main reason is that I find it amazing, I can't wait to read new posts so I check it daily. I read other blogs, but yours is the only one to have this effect on me! I must also thank you, 'casue reading your blog is a nice way to brush up my English which, as you can see, is a disater!

    Now, about your new post. Yes, life in POsitano during winter must be so boring, I agree but this place, at leas, still ha the positive aspects of being quiet and "safe". Let's hope it will not change 'casue the locals are too proud and too greedy to preserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right. I live in a big metroplex and crime is an everyday occurrence. It makes my impending move to Italy all the more appealing even though its hard/sad to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sad thing to happen to that young man. Sometimes it takes a tragedy like that to put things into perspective.

    Thank you for posting the pics of Positano! I love looking at them and knowing exactly where they were taking, and realizing that I will be standing right there in just over 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicki, I am so sorry that it was your friend who was murdered. It just shows you what a small world we live in. In NYC, people are getting killed over iPods. It's really scary and crime always rises around the holidays. Stay safe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My line of work exposes me to terrible scenarios like this all the time...people shoot and stab each other over pocket change or street territory or a bruised ego or trivial material objects ALL the time. Despite the fact that I see it so much, it never ceases to be deeply disturbing to me. Sorry you lost a friend to this ridiculousness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He wasn't really a friend, just a kid in my class whan I was younger. He left our school quite early on and I never met him again. But I remember him, and also for some reaon his mother too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a sad story and when you live in a big city (I live in NYC, too) you can sometimes become desensitized to the crime. I know how boring small towns can be ..... I'll never forget the awfully slow winter I spen in Ischia but it's also safe and cozy. Like everything in life, it's a trade-off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sad.

    I live in a really small town. But it's true that there are good points.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny - I consider Dublin safe because the crime is almost always internal amongst gang members, kids can take the buses to school and every evening there's some sort of pick up soccer match in the street. Friends are always horrified by this and wonder why the kids aren't kept safe! I always reply that they are safe, the whole city is looking out for them... Positano does sound lovely for when you need to escape the city!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...