Wednesday, December 20

All she wants is..


A couple of weeks ago I asked Skye what she would like for Christmas. At first she looked at me blankly and said, "what you say Mummy?". I asked her again and she hesitantly replied, "a biscuit please." It then occurred to me that she hadn't really grasped the concept of Christmas, due mainly to the fact that I am a crap mother and had forgotten to explain it to her.

Some emergency Christmas lessons were in order.
So I sat her down and read to her my battered old copy of 'The Night Before Christmas'. We went reindeer hunting in the park. I took her up to London to see the Christmas lights and visit Hamleys, Londons biggest toyshop, where I also met up with Sara (Ms Adventures in Italy) and dragged her around with us. I explained the situation to her Uncle Paul, who kindly bought her a Rudolph the red nosed reindeer DVD which she was quite happy to study.

We dashed out and bought a Christmas tree which her Uncle Dan helped decorate with glitter balls and candy canes, and have piled wrapped presents temptingly underneath its branches. A brisk walk along the river to watch the ice skating outside Hampton Court Palace and have a ride on the merry go round in the cold weak sunshine, then home for hot chocolate and some more Christmassy stories.

I asked again, "Skye, what would you like for Christmas?"
"I want a hamster please mummy!"
Damm, I should have just given her that biscuit she wanted.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, should've stayed with the biscuit!!!

    I bet it was so wonderful for you to watch her experience all the Christmas adventures! Christmas really is for children. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha obviously all the "party" atmosphere linked with Christmas has reminded her of hamsters again! She has an amazing memory lol!!! Are you going to get her one? By the way, you have inspired me to start a blog... from now on I will be posting as BecsLifeOnline but I haven't written one yet lol =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crap mum comment made me laugh! Not true!

    That's really cute. It's really nice to see kids get excited about gifts but not when they get to the point where they are "expecting" them - Sante's cousins are starting to count presents and compare...it's too bad. Seems like she's at a great, gracious point still :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! You did have a good thing going :) But I imagine the emergency Christmas lesson will be something she will always fondly remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girl sounds sweet. Please do not forget to tell her where the Christ in Christmas comes from. I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas. I was very sorry to read about your mum and my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a perfect example of how a virgin mind is now forever hooked to what our consumeristic society wants us to do... buy useless presents.

    Teach her that love can be given and shown in other ways that don't involve spending money.
    Actually, that's the only way she knew when she was born, so just remind her.

    Happy stupid Christams! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story!
    Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah don't forget the Christ in christmas otherwise there's no point in it all anyway! Jesus is the reason for the season...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...