Tuesday, February 6

no place like home


You know you’re in Italy when:

Within 2 minutes of walking out of Naples Airport I was told off by an old man for letting Skye spin around in circles.

Within an hour of arriving at home we were sitting on the beach eating pizza.

Within 2 hours of arriving home I was told off by another old person for letting Skye run around without a coat on.

Within 24 hours of being back I drove the one hour drive to the supermarket to stock up and discovered that icing sugar is only sold in little sachets of no more than 50 grams. In England you can buy it in kilo boxes like any other sugar. Now how am I going to make icing for my cupcakes?

Within 25 hours of being back, I was arguing with the cashier at the supermarket. At the self service vegetable counter I hadn’t found ‘cabbage’ on the ‘weigh it and print the price scales’. Of course I was looking under ‘c’ for cabbage and not ‘v’ for verza, but that’s beside the point don’t you think?

Since being back I have also:

Got into the car on the wrong side. Twice.

Realised that I left the car keys, house key and all the keys for the padlocks on my suitcases in the kitchen...in England.

Taken to wearing my scarf inside the house, as central heating hasn’t been invented here yet.

Woke up in the middle of the night absolutely terrified as there was someone BIG (i.e. not Skye) moving in my bed. As soon as I opened my eyes I realised that it was only Carlo and that I was in bed in Italy, not in England.

But it's goood to be back.

15 comments:

  1. Welcome back in Southern Italy. Don't you think we arranged some nice weather for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back safe and sound. Wow, eating pizza on the beach. It's worth being back simply for that! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a set of extra keys! It's good to hear that you're back home in one piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. It's always cold in the houses in winter here isn't it. This eve I said to my OH "Voglio essere in un paese caldoooo" ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. dearessssstNiki I'm Elayne from Malaysia Kuala Lumpur. Have been following ur adventure and each time laughing on your funny entry,heartache during your mum passaway,beaming with delight when each time Poppy's picture appear and happy to know Carlo is FIT.Hey Niki keep up ur post.You done yourself proud:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats hillarious, so 24 hours and you're right back in it, no honeymoon period, just back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that rucola or broccoli on the pizza? That looks so much like Positano style food! And the sunshine is so inviting... Welcome back to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow it's that warm to be eating on the beach? Very nice.

    Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've worn a scarf for three days now - what happened? It's suddenly freezing across Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. welcome back Niki.........Hope you'll start soon spreading again the latest gossip Positano news.......can't wait!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - I'm glad you're back safely. Can't wait to hear about life in Positano again. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI and welcome back to the deserted land of Positano.
    AH, isn't it awful when the smallness of this town hits you in the face like that?
    Yeah, the sun....whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Niki, you can make your own icing sugar in a blender (frullatore) using regular sugar. Try it! And never buy icing sugar again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the icing sugar...go to a local bakery. I'm sure they will sell it to you. Everything is for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you have a metro or some other cash and carry they sell icing sugar by the kilo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...