Saturday, April 28

Alex and Skye

Saturday evening, the sun is setting, turning the tops of the mountains a surreal orangy pink. Two tired children sit on my bed watching a cartoon in Italian. In five days the little Italian/English girl and the little Swedish boy have become inseparable even though they don't speak the same language. They play together, eat together, hold hands and even dress similar. If one takes off their shoes, the other one does the same.

It is nearly time for them to go to sleep, they have had a long day. I took them all on a long mountain walk today, through pine forests, past waterfalls and along flower scattered pathways. We climbed hundreds of steps, up the mountain and down the other side, working up a ferocious appetite that was finally put to rest with pizza and ice cream.

We all stumbled wearily home and spent the hottest part of the afternoon resting in the cool shade until the children became restless again and we took them down to play on the beach. The little boy shouted in delight and promptly threw himself fully dressed into the sea. He emerged dripping and laughing, his parents laughed too and let him do it again, smiling as he enjoyed himself.

As the sun disappeared behind the mountain we stood up, brushing sand off feet and pulling sandals onto small feet. The Swedish boys mother walked home taking her child and mine too. I stayed behind with her husband, we were planning their last evening in Positano. I showed him a few restaurants where they could share a romantic dinner and then I took him to a gift shop to buy a little present.

While I help two tired children clean their teeth and tuck them up in bed, the little Swedish boys parents are out celebrating their wedding anniversary on their last night in one of the most romantic towns in Italy. It has been such a pleasure to have them here, to finally meet them after over a year of 'virtual' friendship. They were everything I thought they would be; friendly, beautiful, fun people and I am sure that they will return many times in the future.

14 comments:

  1. It's a fairy tale! :-) I love it. I can't wait to read what Annika says when she gets home... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! You have been the perfect hostess to a family that you only knew "virtually".

    I'm not sure I would be able to open up my home like you have, but I would definitelly show them around. I know Annika will be forever grateful to you and I can't wait to read her version when she gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki, you're a champ!
    And I have tagged you as a Thinking Blogger, so check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Che bello! I didn't realise it was Annika and husband's anniversary. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that things worked out so well for all of you. When the visit is over I am sure that Poppy will miss her new friend more than the adults will miss each other. If she is at all like my kids were she'll be asking you for a long time to come "when is he coming to see me again?".

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post. so evocative and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful! and how cute are the kids playing together like that! something to be learned from them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, warm fuzzies on a warm Sunday; grazie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy for you all but I was hoping to meet her too!
    They left already?
    Wow...time flies...

    ReplyDelete
  10. this sounds so perfectly enchanting -
    to finally meet your friends and have them
    everything you imagined and more:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like so much fun has been had during Annika and family's visit. Glad you had an awesome time together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad that everything worked out for the best. I can't wait to read what Annika has to say!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a lovely visit. I love how children can overcome a language barrier and communicate so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so touched when I read your latest post, it was so well written - as always! :-)
    It will be so nice to hear it in Annika's own words as soon as she's arriving back in Sweden today. I have to call her on her cell phone as soon as she has landed at 13.05 local Swedish time.
    //Christer
    PS. I sure hope that you and your family will be able to visit them in Sweden too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...