Friday, July 20

boats and pharoes

Does my boat look big in this?
This is the 'Rising Sun', the fourth biggest private yacht in the world, which dominated the bay for a few days last week. Apparently Tom Hanks and Tom Ford were guests on the yacht.
When I was out with Stefano the other evening , taking photos of the fire, he asked me if I had ever seen the Egyptian Pharaoh in the rock. I can't believe that in all the time I have been here nobody has ever shown me this. It is completely natural, about 3 metres up a cliff, jutting out over the sea. You can see the smoke from the fires in the distance. (The fires have now been subdued and the road is open again.)
As we came back into town the sun was setting and all the lights were starting to sparkle. Carlo and Skye were waiting for me on the pier. It was such a nice evening that we decided not to go home. We ordered pizzas with smoked mozzarella and large bottles of beer, then sat on the pier watching nighttime creep up on us.

9 comments:

  1. I'm amazed by the pharaoh - it looks so detailed that it's hard to believe it's a natural formation.

    I find that I have to avoid coming to your blog because it just makes me pine for italy all the more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts lately have been wonderful. This for some reason was enchanting even though it was a short commentary. You seem to appreciate every moment and every view. I so enjoy that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember staring at that profile last summer! I wish I was there again right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pharoah is amazing! It's the first thing I noticed when I saw that picture - and it's totally natural? Wow... it really says something about the spirit and history of Italy (even if the formation is natural...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I TOO THINK YOUR POSTS RECENTLY ARE GREAT, AND OF COURSE, THE PICTURES TAKE MY BREATH AWAY. YOU LIVE IN A DREAM PLACE, SIGH! THANKS, DIANE ROMANO

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a child and lived on the Costiera, the profile was known as that of Dante Alighieri

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've never been outside my country (but am hoping one day...soon..)..but it's wonderful how i can feast on these places i've never been into ...even if only in the net...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rock is incredible! Your evening of pizza and beer sounds lovely. :)(I had no idea before coming here just how good mozzarella can be.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pharaoh, Dante and now how about an Aztec warrior?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...