Wednesday, July 25

away from the crowded beach


Carlo phoned just as I was wondering what to make for lunch.
"I'm with Robbie, do you want to eat at home, at the beach or we could make a picnic an d get one of the boats to drop us off at an empty beach?"
"Lets go find an empty beach!"It was an easy answer. "Is Robbie bringing his new girlfriend?
" I should think so. Ok, meet us in half an hour on the road."

I threw a couple of sarongs into the ever ready beach bag and slipped on a bikini under my denim mini skirt and pea green strappy top, but alingering glance in the mirror revealed an odd yellow stain down the front of my top. I took it off, threw it in the washing pile and put on an Abercrombie and Fitch top that my brother had bought me, probably as an excuse to eye up the male models in the New York store. It seemed to have shrunk a bit but I decided it didn't matter, grabbed my sunglasses and my daughter and walked out the door.

About halfway down the steps to the road I felt uneasy in my clothes so left Skye sitting on a step while I dashed back up and changed again, into a pale grey dress. Finally we made it down where the others were waiting. Robbie introduced ,me to his girlfriend, "Nicki, Ricky, Ricky, Nicki, Skye, Ricki...mamma mia!" Together we walked down towards the pier, stopping off at the deli on the church steps to buy sandwiches and fresh fruit.

We waited on the pier until a boat arrived to take us to the beach of our choice. It was windy, the sea had been flattened by the gusts but the boat still jumped and bounced, spraying us with salty water and my hair whipped around my face until I twisted it together and held it still.

The beach we hoped to go to had already been claimed. Two couples lay there and we couldn't ruin their privacy by baarging in. The next beach was long, rocky and empty, the boat pulled up to the shore and we jumped off, calf deep, splashing into crystal clear waters.

We spread towels and sat down to eat. There was no noise apart from the waves lapping the shore and the far off hum of boats passing by. It almost felt as if we were on holiday, somewhere else, possibly Greece or even a Caribbean island if you concentrated on the turquoise seas and not the knobbly rocks.

We stayed all afternoon, swimming, lazing in the sun, climbing the rocks and chatting. At about 5pm the sun disappeared behind the cliffs and we phoned for a boat to come and pick us up. Back on the pier, salty, wind burned and with crunchy hair I said goodbye to the others and walked quickly home to take a shower before I went to work.

10 comments:

  1. That's what I miss about Sydney! When we were kids we used to take the train to the Royal National Park or Kuring-gai Chase and just pick a beach at random for a picnic. Hike down the cliff, past billabongs, tropical birds etc and usually we were the only ones there - perfect sand, waves, sharks and bluebottles. :)

    Glad to see that not every beach in Italy is invaded by people, stabilimenti, animatori and murky polluted water (which, unfortunately, I've experienced). I've never seen a beach here without at least 100 people on it - and if there are lots of people, what is the point of going to the beach? Maybe I need to pay a visit to your part of Italy. Sounds like the crowds have passed it by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A NICE DAY..WISH I COULD DO THAT SO EASILY BEFORE I WENT TO WORK!! JUST VERY NICE!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTS..KEEP THEM COMMING AS I CHECK EVERY DAY. CIAO, DIANE ROMANO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day! I'm so glad that you stopped working at the boutique and can enjoy these summer days with your family!

    Annette
    (California)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally identify with the repeated outfit changes.. I tend to do that too, even if I'm not going to do anything special.

    Sounds like you had a great day - the perfect way to spend summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long time lurker, first time poster. ;)

    I just have to tell you how much I love your blog. I have family in Italia, in the north, but can't afford to get back to visit as much as I would like. Your posts make me feel like I'm right back in Italy. Sigh.

    Your photos are gorgeous, your daughter is adorable, and your posts are so entertaining! Thank you for bringing a little slice of joy into my life every day!
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you include those details, like the outfit changes... it makes your day so much more... real for the rest of us. Nice writing as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I be repetitive and say is just too darn cute?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be nice, call up for a boat to pick you up at the beach... I've decided that I want to come back as you in my next life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this makes me want to jump on a plane to Positano (or anywhere else there is warm weather, it's freezing here)

    Love lazing about on a secluded beach....Sounded like a perfect day Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.travels4.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...