Friday, July 27


We met at summercamp when we were 8 years old and we stuck together like glue. At the end of camp we lost contact, being too young to think about swapping addresses. But three years later she appeared as the 'new girl' in my school, we recognised each other and immediatly made each other friendship bracelets. Within a year we jetted off with her family for our first holiday together in Positano.

Throughout our teens we visited Positano together so many times, sharing and swapping clothes,laughing and arguing, the redhead and the blonde, that our seperate identities were almost forgotten. In the last 10 years we managed to become seperate personalities when I moved to Italy and she moved to Brasil where we couldn't borrow each others clothes any more.

She came to visit often, borrowing my stuff, eating my chocolate and using my showergel until we fell out over something unimportant. Three years passed. People occasionally stopped me on the street asking if I was still in contact with her. We did keep in touch, just hadn't seen each other any more until....

"Nik? Its meee!"


"You! Where are you?"

"At home in England. What are you doing in the next few days?"

"Nothing actually. No work at the moment. Why? Are you going to take me away somewhere exotic?"

"Er, no. I was going to go to Buenos Aires for a few days but its too far away so I thought I'd come to see you...Can I?"

"When?"

"Tomorrow?"

"OK. Call me when you land."

"Ok. How long has it been?"


"Um, two..no three years?"

"Wow... OK, I'll call you tomorrow. One other thing though. Don't tell anybody that I'm coming, we'll surprise them!"

Last night we walked up the road arm in arm, past a restaurant with tables on the pavement, we smiled in satisfaction as we heard people say,
"Look! It them together again! I can't believe my eyes!"

9 comments:

  1. It's really special having a friendship such as that. What a nice post! Hope you have a great weekend Nicki! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I could not believe my eyes when I saw her.
    It was very good to see you together again, like all these years never passed.
    And you still make THE striking redhead/blonde couple that will have all heads turning.
    Come back soon Celine, it's always nice to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always special with childhood friends, who know everything about those things that happened when you were still very young, those things that made you who you are. If she's anything like you, she must be a great person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I'm so glad you saw an old friend :-) Things like that are so special...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was smart to choose to see you in Positano, if only because it's freezing cold in Buenos Aires!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOW YOU HAVE TO TELL US EVERY THING YOU TWO ARE DOING!! DETAILS PLEASE!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU ...CIAO, DIANE ROMANO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi NIki, I'm really glad to know about the good time you0ve spent with Celine. I am among the ones who remembers you and Caline coming to Positano. Alexandra from NY had introduced us!!!!
    It's a pity I did not meet you girls last night, would have been great to see Celine.
    I didn't know how you had met (even though it was clear you were very close). Well, life's strange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a long lasting friendship. I wish I had one like that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...