Sunday, September 2

Gas cannister explodes.

At 6.35 this morning we were woken by a HUGE explosion. The whole house shook. It was much louder than any firework or thunderclap. We sprang out of bed and ran to the front door and saw a big cloud of smoke arising from down below, in the town centre area near the pharmacy. All around us the neighbours were on their terraces, trying to see what had happened. From our house we couldn't see much else, we did'nt know what had happened.

A neighbour with a house adjacent to the road suddenly came tearing down his steps and ran towards the smoke. A few houses across from us a friend saw us from his balcony and called over to us but all we heard was something about a roof collapsed and flames. Wew shouted backc that we couldn't hear him and he beckoned us to come over to his house.

I grabbed my camera and ran over to his terrace and saw that there had been an explosion in a house above the pharmacy. The roof had collapsed and flames poured out from the side of the house. Debris was scattered all over the road below and people were arriving with fire extinguishers and ladders. There were two people trapped inside, we knew who they were, and distressingly we could hear the woman crying for help.

As we watched there was another small explosion, more of a pop and the flames at the side of the house grew bigger. Someone climbed on top of the roof with a fire extinguisher (probably from the nearby petrol station)and tried to put out the flames, as a neighbour aimed a hose-pipe into the fire.

After about 40 minutes the woman was brought out on a stretcher and another 10 minutes later her partner was helped outide, walking, supported by two people. They were taken away seperately by ambulances. The mountain rescue truck arrived to help combat the flames, which were soon under control and an hour after the explosion a fire engine arrived.

Soon after, a few helicopters arrived and started circling, I think this will be on the news later.

17 comments:

  1. How terribly frightening, l hope that they are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! How scary! Hopefully everyone is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and distressingly we could hear the woman crying for help"

    That was hard to read without choking up. I'm glad to have read that they were both pulled out to safety. I hope they are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sentence was really hard to read...me too I know who she is, her partner and her family. I really hope everybody will get healthier soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. How horrible! Remember how I asked you about the bombola? One good thing about electricity is that while it might start a fire, it rarely explodes. Gas is scary.

    I hope the woman and her family are okay, and that their personal belongings - those that cannot be replaced - could be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the chills when I read this. I hope that everyone will be ok. How scarey for you to witness this. I can totally imagine your hands were shaking. I hope the rest of your day is much better, calmer, happier. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Per l' articolo in italiano cliccare http://www.positanonews.it/menu/default.asp?id=7816

    Un grazie a Nicki per il suo impegno e disponibilità. Grazie da Positanonews

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope all will be well and they recover. Luckily they are alive and it could have been worse. I bet bombala's all over the town will be double checked before bedtime 2night. Take care Niki, have a glass of vino or stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, how scary. I'm so glad they were pulled out and are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. certainly makes you think about things, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No casualties, at least! How frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, THAT IS SO TERRIBLE! 80% BURNS! I HOPE HE WILL RECOVER..BOTH OF THEM. SO VERY SORRY TO HEAR THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let us know how they make out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everybody here has the gas bombola in the kitchen. I had to fight like a demon to get mine outside. I watch the TV news... no way it was going to be inside this American's house! It only takes a 3/4" hole for the tube!

    I am really sorry for these people and I hope things start to go better for them. It sounds very dire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for relaying the news and I hope che o Sargientiello e Angela will be back soon. Even though I am in the US, my thoughts are close to them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is shocking and horrifying. That must have been so distressing to see, esp. when there was no easy way to help those in need:-(

    I am sending best wishes into the universe for the couple.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got back from my first trip to Italy.

    Coincidentally, this exposion happened the morning of my first night in Positano. I was staying at Casa Maresca.

    http://www.casamaresca.it/index.htm

    I didn't hear the blast, but the commotion afterwards went on for a while. That was the first time I heard the sound of an Italian abulance/police siren, and it went on for quite some time.

    Hope everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...