Sunday, September 23

Fornillo fish festival: video

Saturday evening we went to the annual Fish Festival on the beach. Walking down to the pier we were greeted with free glasses of wine and a free boatride over to the next beach. The boat was overcrowded so we grabbed our free wine and walked around the coastal path that lead to the festa.

As soon as we stepped onto the beach we found an exhibition of photos taken by local kids, strung up on the rocks in hand made frames. Photos of rough seas crashing into the pier, close ups of seagulls launching into flight, narrow alleyways with the sun casting its rays through a gap, and more.

A little bit further on we found the ticket stand. You choose what you want from the menu, (wine at 50 cents a glass!!) buy the appropriate ticket, then go and find your food. This beach consists of four seperate beach bars and each one prepares or hosts a different dish. I left Carlo hunting for his octopus salad and walked off to find the fried fish stand.

I found it back at the beginning of the beach and waited while a tray of freshly cooked fish was delivered. I noticed a rather good looking guy sitting nearby, he seemed to be looking over this way, then he waved. I looked again but didn't recognise him. He waved again so I looked behind me to see who he was waving at. Of course there was no one there and he smiled when I turned back and pointed at me, then got up and came over.
He introduced himself and said he remembered me from where I worked, he seemed upset that he hadn't found me there this year, he asked why I had left and what I was doing instead. I swear that I had never seen the guy before in my life, he probably used to come in the shop with his girlfriend. He introduced me to his friends and then I grabbed my fish and left, excitedly tripping across the sand to tell Carlo that a handsome man other than himself had expressed interest in me.

A man dressed possibly as Neapoleon marched past, followed by a bevy of sailors beating on drums. A group of cheeky kids followed behind chanting and clapping as they marched across the beach. Skye found a friend and they skipped off together, over towards the stage where they danced for the rest of the evening. Carlo settled onto the steps of a bar, sipping on wine the wine which I delivered to him. On one trip to the wine stall I actually got two glasses for the price of one...(25c a glass, a bargin).

I wandered around the beach talking to people and eventually drifted towards the stage where Skye had gone. I pushed my way through the crowd of people waving their tambourines and castanets and glimpsed her dancing at the front of the stage. To the side I saw Gianni the hermit taking a break from dancing, and off towards the shoreline I saw an australian girl that I had met a few years before, dancing with her flags....

Lets stay and watch for a bit:

7 comments:

  1. I missed that...bu tit looked like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki, your posts and now videos are the best! Looked like so much fun. Wonder who the handsome man is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite festas! Sorry I missed it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got hungry for Italian seafood after reading this great post of yours. Loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always amazed at how many things go on there - there seems to be an endless amount of festivals and things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounded like so much fun!
    Loved it thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...