Saturday, November 10

Bye Boomy


Boomerang was a small kitten when I found her on the beach in October '99. She was sleek, shiny and starving hungry, but it was 'prosecco on the pier' time which we weren't going to interrupt for the sake of a small kitten, so we fed her crisps and peanuts which she gobbled up happily.

I felt bad leaving her alone on the beach so I took her home with me, on the bus hidden in a sweater. She was an annoying little thing, weeing everywhere and playing all night so I took to chucking her out the front door when she got on my nerves. She soon learnt to climb onto the roof, go across to the other side and slither down a drainpipe until she reached my balcony where she would desperately fling herself at the door until I surrendered and let her in. I named her Boomerang when she started following me down to the bar in the evenings.

Something has happened to Boomy in the last couple of weeks. First she went missing for eight days, then suddenly reappeared, skinny and dirty, but meowing and purring with happiness to be back home. Two days later we awoke to find her sitting in a corner of the room, head to the wall, rocking side to side. I picked her up and gently dropped her on the bed, but she fell over. I placed her back on the floor and she slowly walked back into the corner of the room, huddled up and started rocking again.

So I took her to the vets. They did tests on her, but it was immediately clear to them that the problem was neurological. "She's probably been kicked hard in the head by someone, or maybe been hit by a car or bike." The vet suggested trying a course of antibiotics, so I took her back home, hand fed her some food and watched in horror as she started having what seemed to be epileptic fits, every couple of hours, for the next couple of days. She dribbled, twitched, spasmed and yowled with pupils dilated until we scooped her up and held her until the attack passed.

Then, the next morning she was suddenly back to normal. I woke up to her jumping on the bed, meowing for me to get up and feed her. She purred, weaved around my legs and followed me around the house as she always had done.Boomy was back.

But, five days later it has happened again. Yesterday morning she was fine, then after lunch she transformed back into that strange rocking creature, huddled in a corner of the room. We had to leave her, I had a plane to catch. Carlo arrived home after dropping me off to find the cat immobile, but still breathing. He placed her on the sofa and this morning found her exactly as he had left her. He took her to the vets,more tests were carried out, but she is phyisically healthy. They have suggested taking her to Naples for a brain scan.

What happened to my cat when she vanished for eight days? Where did she go? Could somebody really have kicked her in the head so hard as to have caused brain damage? Unfortunately I think it is highly possible here in a country where many people have no respect for animals.

Update: I just got a message from Carlo, Boomy se ne andato... She didn't make it.

30 comments:

  1. "She's gone" as in disappeared again, or gone, passed away? :(
    If it's the latter, I am so sorry! The thought that someone may have kicked her in the head, and caused her to suffer like that is terribly saddening!!! I'm so sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always remember..she had a lot of love and kindness in your home..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I'm so sorry! You gave her such a great life. Companionship, a steady home, love and the ability to still be a cat by letting her hang out outside. None of this she would have had on the beach. Be well and know that you did good by her.

    Namaste.
    - Wendy in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad, but you did give her a comfortable life. Cats don't always fare that well at Positano.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh l am so sorry to hear that l was wondering how she was. She was blessed to have had a good home and caring family. That's really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I;m sorry, Nikki. The fact that she had a loving home should be of great comfort to you now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry Nicki. I'm also going to believe that an accident caused the problems, because to think otherwise breaks my heart.

    What a good life you gave her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't possible believe someone would deliberately do that to an animal. Of all the horrible things I've seen around here, I've never witnessed anything like that or I would have kicked their ass, trust me.
    In all this sadness the good thing is that Poppy did not have to see that.
    And I am glad you weren' t there also...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry. She was lucky to have a safe and happy home in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been reading your blog for a while now, first time posting. I am so sorry! I do not understand how anyone can be evil to any animal let alone cats or dogs. Fortunately for Boomy she found you and all your love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart and tears go out to you...we are big animal lovers as well. Two dogs and two cats...one of the cats is blind!

    I'm sorry to hear the sad news. But she had a good home and life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As an animal advocate I am heartbroken to think someone could have kicked your precious Boomerang in the head or otherwise hurt her in such a horrible way. I am so sorry for what Boomy had to go through this past week and I am so sorry for you, Poppy, and Carlo that she is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thought was how heartbreaking & helpless it feels to not be able to remove the pain & suffering of your four legged little buddy; been there-done that and (to put it mildly) it’s gut wrenching.

    My second thought was, ‘wow-sometimes it’s handy to have a grave digger in the family’!

    Laugh through your tears at all the good memories; it’s the only way through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for your loss! My heart goes out to you and all of those who loved Boomerang. She was a very special cat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very sorry, Nikki. Let's think it was an accident. I'm sure she was very happy with you and later with Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, but she did have a great life with you that she wouldn't have had, had you not been so compassionate to take her home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Nicki,

    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. I discovered your blog a few weeks ago, and I can tell that Boomerang was very lucky to have people in her life who loved her so much.

    My thoughts are with you.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Niki, I'm so sorry to hear about Boomy. It's always so difficult to lose a beloved pet.

    She sounds like she was quite a remarkable cat, and quite attached to you. I loved your story about how she would climb over the roof and down the drainpipe to get to you. I imagine she must have been very determined to get back to you after receiving neurological damage. It must have been difficult for her to get home, confused and hurt, but she managed to do so anyway. She must have loved you so much to go to such great lengths to be with you. What a wonderful cat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How very sad! It almost sounds like poisoning. Did they rule that out? People can be so cruel.She sounded like such a sweetheart !Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucy from Pickering and TorontoNovember 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM

    I'm so sorry either way! I have friends who treat their cats as kids. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Niki and Carlo and Poppy,
    Know this there is Karma and that who ever did this to Boomarang will receive it back twofold. Cruelty to animals and anything that cannot defend itself is a sicko! I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. :-( Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry hear about that. Poor kitty, I just feel horrible.
    I'm with Bleeding Espresso, I'm going to say it was probably an accident with a car or bike. I don't want to consider any other possibility.

    BIG hugs to you and Poppy and Carlo. Losing a kitty is not easy at all :-( :-(

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear of Boomerang's demise. It is very sad to lose a pet. They become apart of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi
    i visited Positano a few years ago; it's beautiful. I also walked the Cinque Terre near Genoa and it was there that i saw how much of a different life cats lead in Italy than in the UK. I remember seeing signs for a cat charity on that trip and wonder if you can contact them with your story and perhaps encourage them to work in Positano too? Perhaps a few posters just to educate people that cats don't have to be seen as a pest. i love cats; i don't understand why they are treated badly in Italy : (

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi
    i visited Positano a few years ago; it's beautiful. I also walked the Cinque Terre near Genoa and it was there that i saw how much of a different life cats lead in Italy than in the UK. I remember seeing signs for a cat charity on that trip and wonder if you can contact them with your story and perhaps encourage them to work in Positano too? Perhaps a few posters just to educate people that cats don't have to be seen as a pest. i love cats; i don't understand why they are treated badly in Italy : (

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry to hear that! She at least had a great life with you and your family - such love and warmth she received.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will say though -- that I think it does sound like poisoning...I agree with the anonymous comment. It could have been something she ate on her own that upset her system?

    ReplyDelete
  28. pipes, the cats are not treated badly in Italy. I think you are generalizing because in Italy there are good persons and there are idiots. I think it's like the rest of the world.
    My cat, Martino, leads a life better than mine..
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...