Friday, March 21

Easter parade

Good Friday and we woke to no electricity, as happens fairly often here. It's not really a big deal, just means no toast for breakfast and dripping wet hair for a while after a shower in the dark. I sat outside and listened to the sound of the Easter parade snaking its way along the road and eventually saw a crowd of white hooded figures and Roman soldiers appear around the corner:

They paused and a wooden cross was erected in the street:
The priest arrived and Skye spotted him. "Mummy look! That man in the dress is Giulio and he lives in the big big house with the green and yellow round roof thats on the way to the beach!" She meant Don Giulio, and she was describing the church.
As the march towards the church started up again singing voices echoed around town, an eerie sound. Skye gave a running commentary and I smiled in relief as I saw the lights in the houses nearby flicker back on.

9 comments:

  1. Goodness. I didn't realise they did the hooded sinner thing in Italy too. When I lived in Seville I found the semana santa parades really spooky, they looked kind of like this one but with way more people. I think it looks really scary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sentiment is good (I think) but it is a far cry from the Easter Parades here in the UK - Easter Bonnets are far less scary... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for sharing. It was fun to hear Poppy's little voice! AND to see Positano again.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A much better Easter post than last year my fried;) Bona Pasaca and prayers for love, peace and happiness a tutt'equante.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful Good Friday and a Happy Easter! Great video and pictures. Very interesting the way different cultures celebrate the same religious holiday - I'm certainly not expecting any hooded men in my neighborhood this morning :)SG

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to see your post. I had a dream about you last night, it was a bad dream. I just couldn't find you and I was so full of sadness. I was relieved to see your post this afternoon.
    Buona Pasqua and all good things to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creepy. white hoods are never a good idea... spooky. I love that there's so much activity around Easter in Italy. Not much going on around here. Buona Pasqua!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buona Pasqua to you and yours. Glad you're back and on good form I was getting jealous thinking of you back in Blighty stuffing your face with all those lovely Hot Cross Buns!
    Amanda ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi and greetings from sunny Helsinki, Finland! How convenient is this: my colleague was visiting Spain during the Easter and when he came back he was stunned by the hooded people walking in a parade. He asked me why they do that but I couldn't give him an answer. Tell me, please, what is the point of those scary hoods??

    Best,

    Nani H

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...