Thursday, April 24

Once upon a time I worked in a small little clothes shop in a quiet piazza set back from the beach. It was rather boring, spending the day closed inside a musty, windowless shop, so I looked around for something to occupy my time with. My friend Dino has a little sandal shop across the square and often I would wander over and watch him making sandals.
Dino and his father decide what style sandal they are going to make, then choose colours, leather straps, thongs, bands and accessories too. Sometimes I used to help, suggesting matching colours or stitching twine or ribbon into holes that Dino would punch into a piece of leather. The small work table is tiny and covered with tools, nails, soles and scissors, and the walls stacked to the ceiling with coloured laces and ribbons, sequins and flowers. If you have a specific idea of what type of sandal you want, you only have to ask. Dino will find the right sized sole for you and measure the straps and buckles, then either offer you a seat or tell you to come back after lunch, and create your very own made to measure sandals.

Over the years Dino has been very sweet and kind, always mending my broken shoes free of charge. He came to England once with a friend and they stayed at my house for a month. They hid under the kitchen counter in fright the first time they saw a milkcart, they taught my Dad how to make proper Neapolitan coffee, and my Mum how to cook a variety of pasta dishes.

If you're ever in town, why not stop by and say hello to Dino? Just walk straight up from the pier and you'll find his little sandal shop.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I remember walking by that shop! I think you just solved my "what sandals are appropriate for this summer" problem ;) I'll just wear whatever feels comfy on the way down and then I'll ask Dino to make me the perfect pair of sandals!


    That is, unless he charges hundreds of euro for them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He made me a pair of sandals last year! I love them. I'm going to visit him again this year!

    Annika, I believe the ones I chose were either 50 or 60 euro. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad these places still exist in Positano! I recall seeing documentary about a sandal maker on Capri who was forced to close down his shop due to rising rent and lack of business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dino should be grateful. Free ad like this is priceless...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't those sandals have incredibly slippery soles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful little shop, with my shoes addiction I would probably be broke in a month. The novelty of having my shoes made to order would never wear off...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been there and he does have great sandals! Plan to make a "pit stop" there when we visit in September...see you then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing a sandal shop when I was in Positano two years ago. I wonder if it was Dino's??

    ReplyDelete
  9. nell said
    What I wouldn't give to have Dino make a pair of custom sandal for me in the current Roman Glad style with the strap up the middle and and some silver like tacks to make them sparkle with an sturdy ankle strap . Does he export?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...