Sunday, September 21

Bubble dreams

A few years ago, when visiting my parents in the UK, I would sit with my mum in a sun dappled corner of the living room and we would dream about having a little business together. Mum had an extremely successful career which was slowly winding down and she was eager to find something new to occupy her time.
I had spent a few years in the cosmetics and beauty trade and was also eager to do something of my own, but was never sure what. We would sit together in the sunlight and dream of opening a little shop or beauty centre, but we were never sure of exactly what we wanted. But the idea was there.

A few years later and mum has gone, but I kept on thinking about what we could have done together and slowly over the last couple of years things have started to happen. I started to become interested in natural beauty products, after reading about the harsh detergents used in so many bath products. I ordered books and studied with a passion, absorbing information about oils and butters, fragrances and additives, chemistry and maths. I had my doubts, but had to try. So eventually I ordered a boxful of ingredients and started formulating.

In the last few years I have taught myself how to make lipbalms and body butters, soaps and spa bars, bathbombs, melts, salts and scrubs.
There are other products that I am still experienting with, but it takes time and patience to get things right. Most importantly I love doing this! I love creating a recipe, adding a bit of this, a bit of that and then trying the result. I love giving my soaps to friends and hearing about how they love using them and when can they have more? I could pratically hear mum sitting up straight and saying, “this is it!” This is our dream! Go for it, you know you can do it.” with a sparkle in her eye.

So I am going for it, full speed ahead and I’ll be sharing the experiments, failures, photos, successes, beaurocratic problems and beauty of it all here.

21 comments:

  1. good luck charlie, I remember you mentioning this last spring.

    I'll buy some soap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes good luck ..I'm sure you can do it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! Go for it...wonderful. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...they look delish enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Charlie! Of course you can do it! I can't wait to try some of your soaps!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea...I'll be on the edge of my seat to know more. all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, it's finally official! Well, I've said it before: If you want a retailer, you know where to find me. You'll be a soap queen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i saw pics of your soaps on your flickr site and think that the combinations and different scents and flavors are brilliant!

    i would love some...if you are able to distribute to the states let us know!

    buona fortuna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oohhhhhhhhhh.....I am so jealous. There was a small store in Forio d'Ischia that made natural soaps and the scent as you passed by was amazing. Charlie, good luck. I admire your willingness to learn and try new ventures.

    BTW I'd like to invite everyone who reads this blog to read the one I just started. Just click on my name and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica from Too Tall for ItalySeptember 22, 2008 at 8:50 PM

    Wow that is an awesome idea! I would be very interested because my skin is highly sensitive to chemicals so I can only use natural stuff. Needless to say, I haven't found anything I LOVE here so far. Good luck and keep me updated if you ever start selling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopefully I should be selling before christmas...of course you'll be the first to know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow what a fantastic blog ! pleased your back your mum would be very proud !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad to read about this finally! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so good to hear that one's dreams finally start to come true. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there soap star! What a great idea, lot's of luck and make sure you let me know we can buy it:) amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nell said,
    If you scent it they will buy.
    Charlie I'm sure with all the inspiration abounding your vista's , sand beach sea and foliage. You are bound to succeed , look forward to it come to fruition for you .

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic idea! I'm sure you will he HUGELY successful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great news Charlie! Im sure you will be a great success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful thing to actually enjoy what you're doing, and you're making the world a better place to boot! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Charlie, you make some of the best soaps. Glad you are back and blogging (you do it so well)Can't wait to see more, more, more :0)
    More power to your stick blender!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...