Saturday, January 3

winter

For once I made real cakes, but everyone thought they were soaps!

Now that the holidays have finished the quietest part of the year is about to start in Positano. The restaurants and bars are closing down for at least a month and many residents are packing bags and leaving for the annual Thailand visit which they do en-masse every winter. Those with children in school are forced to stay put and get through the solitude of the winter months in any way that they can.

It started raining two hours into the New Year and so far, three days later shows no sign of stopping. The beach is wet and desolate, the usually busy square by the bar and the bus stop is empty and quiet and the shop fronts are blank, boarded up until March.

I sigh as I look out the window. The mountain in front of me is invisible, covered by a thick sheet of persistant rain.

Something will have to be done to get through this season.

11 comments:

  1. I know, you could come to us! At least we don't have rain - we have snow and -10 degrees as of now. Not sure if that's any better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Thailand, and are you selling your goodies )

    ReplyDelete
  3. it could be worse....you could be on the west coast of Scotland where this is the normal weather. At least in Italy you know that spring is really just around the corner, here we will still be waiting for it come august ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. knit one - pearl one - knit one-pearl one -

    ReplyDelete
  5. drop one, knit one, pearl one! Ha, that was funny Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glenda- Why Thailand? I dont really know. And yes I sell my soapies at saponissimo at Etsy or Dawanda, or click on the link in the sidebar of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell from the frozen land of snow and ice says...
    Better rain than snow and soon it will warm up in a month, we here will not defrost till late June.
    Trade you .......take care a good long novel with lots of plot twists is needed or Withering Heights give Kathy and Heath cliff another go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well those cakes sure look like they'll help...this cold though...brrr!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cakes look good. Soaps? HA

    ReplyDelete
  10. braising always makes me feel better about the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I could tell you to come visit me here in Florida (US), but I have no where to put you. It is warm and sunny here and the weather is so much more beautiful now than in the summer. I have a lab, so you can soap with me, you'll just need to find a bedroom. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...