Tuesday, February 17


Where were we? Aah...the school closed down for a week so that they could repair the roof. I found out by chance, reading a notice in the local bar. So I dashed back home, booked last minute tickets back to England and flew home with Skye the next day. Only to arrive just in time for the heaviest snowfall in 18 years, which had us trapped in the house, unable to use the car for a couple of days. And all the schools in England closed down too.

Finally we dug ourselves out of the snowdrifts and slipped and skidded off down the road to take Skye ice-skating for her birthday. All her presents had been left behind in Italy but she was surprisingly grown up about it. We enjoyed a pleasant week luxuriating in the warmth of a centrally heated house (what an amazing invention! When will it arrive in Italy?), exclaiming in delight over the huge array of goods in the supermarkets (“Look! They have carrots AND bananas, and more than 4 types of cereal!!!), and becoming accustomed to sinking into big slushy puddles disguised as bits of wet pavement.

On hearing that the school had re-opened and was now less unlikely to crumble into a heap of rubble we reluctantly packed our bags again and returned to Italy.

We return to find icy temperatures, not unlike those in the UK, the difference being that those icy temperatures are also inside the house due to lack of central heating. Our trusty gas heater is cranked up to maximum power but does little to cut through the cold, because Italians love to build rooms with extraordinarily high ceilings, and as most of us know; heat rises. Also to ease us back into Italian life our internet connection stopped working, the ATM machine stopped working and the only bar in town that was open, was , in fact closed .

13 comments:

  1. Ah I wondered what happened to you two!!! I hope your daughter had a good time in the UK. It is very sad that presents never arrive. I know as I made a present for my friend in Sicily..3 times I sent it..and third time lucky.!! I was not impressed.

    Is all your area like that? No central heating, no carrots or bananas etc etc.....not much in the supermarkets..I am amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viva Italia!!! I understand all those frustrations...they seem to add up in the winter when you can even enjoy the sun. I am currently researching work visas for my boyfriend to move to the states as I can't deal with the totally inconsiderate, demeaning and pathetic work environments here. That, and I want marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on her improved reading and writing skills. I'll say it even if her teachers don't. But does that mean you made her work on the vacation even with all that cool snow to play in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fark, maybe you can start a new trend & cobble together some clothing from electric blankets. Brrruuuuuurrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousins have installed reversible ceiling fans in the Winter they set them to blow the risen heat down and in the Summer they reverse them to suck the warm air up or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, in Italy we do have centrally heated houses and stuffed supermakets! I'm sure you know this, maybe your readers don't.

    Virginia

    (hello, I'm a long time reader from Tuscany, I know you hate people correcting on your blog, I'm sorry )

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Virginia. I just exaggerate sometimes, although I must point out that hardly anyone has central heating here in Pos, and it is sooo cold at the moment.
    And there is no supermarket in town either, so often the little local shops run out of stuff, I often have to buy milk from the bar cos the shops have none!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brrr... I agree! As I type I have a heater tucked under my desk. I am a long time reader from America, but I live just down the coast from you now near Amalfi. It snowed here today! Snowed??!! Is there snow above the mountains in Positano? What is the word in Positano about the road closure? Stay warm! -Laura

    PS: I am very happy to see you online again! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i certainly DO NOT miss being cold inside the house. it's so humid there too! my best friend was the hair dryer--sounds weird, but that direct heat is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder what they do with all the parcels that "disappear". Some arrive months later, some not at all.

    I mean, seriously. The stuff inside can't always be that interesting for the post workers.

    I've been lucky with the Italian post until now. Now, not really friends with them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At one stage l was living in an apartment right in front of the port in Amalfi... I have never in my life, been so cold constantly. When l would go to sleep I would wrap myself up in blankets upon blankets and clothing and still struggled to get even close to warm. Sometimes it was all too much to bear so as a temporary measure l would take a steaming hot shower, well that worked for all of about five mintues :)

    Maybe try the fan trick Gil mentioned???
    - Cleopantha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dog sweaters are Abercrombie Polos available in styles ranging from v-necks to Abercrombie Polos turtle necks and of course everything in ed hardy Hats between including hooded sweaters as well as knit ones. When it comes to your dog's Ed Hardy Sale warm dog wardrobe selections, sweaters are definitely a must have item.When Ed Hardy Swimwear the nights get even colder though and the basic sweater will just not do it for your dog, then Ed Hardy Swimwear you may be in need of a jacket or coat as well. There are Ed Hardy Swimwear many of these available too and they come in styles like checker trench coats, fabulous ed hardy swimsuits fleece jackets as well as promenade faux fur coats styles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...