Wednesday, April 8

An early morning walk on the beach. Its slightly misty, the sun is trying to fight its way throught the haze to bathe you in her welcome warmth. The beach bars sit ready, freshly painted with chairs and tables poised for their first customers.A few tourists walk around town, dressed in shorts, sandals and long-sleeved hooded tops, easily distinguishable from the locals who are still dressed in their winter garb. Down the end of the beach the gorgeous boys frorm the nightclub are working hard, preparing for the clubs opening night on Saturday.

On the other side of the beach the cabins on the pier have been wheeled into place, a couple are already open, selling tickets for the first ferry services of the year. In a couple of weeks I too will be taking up semi-residence in one of those cabins for the summer season, offering boat trips along the coast and to Capri.

I will, no doubt, have many tales to tell you of life on the pier, and the strange things that tourists ask..e.g No, this is not an island, no, that sea is not the Pacific and no, I cannot give you a coca-cola because this is not a bar.

My soap empire (!) will not be affected by this in any way, I have been a busy sqirrel this winter and stockpiled soaps away in all sorts of nooks and crannies, and soon will be offering an exciting new selection of goodies as well.

The first sun loungers have appeared on the beach, although this early in the morning it is still too cool to use them. A better idea is to go over to the bar in the square and sit down for a lovely fresh pastry and a caffe latte.

9 comments:

  1. You make me want to leave my desk, get in the car, drive to the coast and stay there!!!! Great description - I can practically smell the sea air and fried calamari...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nell said, You live in a Fantasy we all want to escape into, To day You make soap tomorrow new job , work at the pier, sun sea and knobby tourist its all too much fun. Enjoy and one can never have too much happiness.
    If you should happen to meet Clive Owens while he is purchasing a ticket, give him a wet one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at a reception desk right now and if I really wanted to I could get my American Express Card and book my plane ticket to Naples and come visit you! I could pull a Shirley Valentine like I want to right this very minute. But it would be irresponsible of me to leave my husband and child for a wild week in your town! One day Charlie, one day I will take that boat ride with you. For now I will enjoy your soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog - nice to 'meet' you - what a wonderful place you live!
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Emmina, after reading your post! The problem is I'm too far away to just hop in the car and head to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. charlie, are you serious? People really ask if the sea is the PACIFIC?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is soooooooo tempting to just jump on a plane and be there tomorrow! You should work for the Tourist Board. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first moved to Hawaii, I worked at a booth selling tickets for catamaran rides and worked the sunset sail pouring Mai Tai's. This post took me back to those days. The strange things tourists would ask often blew my mind. I can just imagine the things you are asked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...