Thursday, October 8

Perfect lazy indian summer days. The weather is warm, but not too hot, the sun shines softly but does not burn. The sea is calm and still, like a lake and crystal clear. As the season draws to an end the lethargy of the summer is shaken off and I feel inspired to go for a walk. Not far, really, just up the other side of town to visit Carlo at work and stop in for lunch at his mothers house.On the way back to work I notice the myriad of plants, flowers and fruits that grow in abundance in every space available. I pass the usual lemon, orange, fig and olive trees, but also notice huge squashes, fragrant roses and multi-coloured flowers bursting from every angle.
I suddenly remember that pomegranates ripen in October and weave my way through the warren of steps in the cemetary until I find the secret pomegranate tree that hangs over the sea, reaching towards the distant islands. It is laden with fruit and I stretch out my arms, balancing over the wall until I manage to catch a big round orb and pull it towards me. It has split open already which means it is ripe and ready to eat. I pull it off the tree, blow the ants away and feast on the small juicy seeds as I walk back down to the pier.

12 comments:

  1. Charlie , that was poetic the way you described an other wise normal walk to Luca's mother's house.
    I recall when in Sicily on my grandfathers farm gathering Pomegranates and prickly pears in Oct. and eating them the juices running down my chin, sitting in front of the then abandoned old summerhouse it was the best , thanks for reminding me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous. My trip to the grocery store to buy these won't be so poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum....love pomengrantes...sounds like a lovely walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes just like Lucia, I am so jealous, they just don't taste the same in the Uk..and I won't be able to look at one now, without thinking of you picking one of your secret tree.. I Love pomegranates..have done for years and years and my boys (now men) love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos as always. I miss going on mountainside walks with you, or just sit and talk. It's been too long! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos and such descriptive prose I felt I was back on the Amalfi coast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pomegranite pic - wow!! I feel like I could take a bit! Great post.

    Cheers - Holli in Ghana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This must be how they are meant to be eaten. The ones I get in my state are hi or miss, usually miss! Same with prickly pears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not so secret anymore! I might go steel some.
    mmmmmmmh pomegranate...
    dollyna

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderfully written! From this point on in NY, we'll only be eating apples, beets, and pumpkins, (preferably not together though). What a selection you have!

    The first time someone offered me a pomegranate, I tried to eat the pith! YUCK, but once I tasted the good stuff, I was amazed I had never tried it before.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ciao! Beautiful words and photos as always! I was on the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi yesterday and I thought I saw pomegranates on a tree as we zoomed around one of the thousands of curves. I didn't know they ripened this time of year. Yum! Sounds like a beautiful (and tasty) walk!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kiddos are in love with Pomegrantes. We all enjoyed your beautiful post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...