Tuesday, November 17

Brighton

I nearly always drive down to Brighton when I'm in the UK. It's always cold and very windy, but thats probably because it's always winter when I'm there, but the town lures me with it's quirkiness and of course the long stretch of pebbly beach. I get a small thrill every time I see the helter-skelter slide on the end of the pier and although I haven't slid down it since I was small, I can remember the feel of the sack-cloth that I would sit on as I slid down the wooden grooves, round and round while the seagulls screeched overhead.
In the last few years the sea front has been given a complete overhaul. There are paddling pools and childrens play areas with cafe's serving hot chai and grilled sandwiches. The promenade is smooth and colourful, so inviting to cycle or skate along, and always bustling with dog walkers and people out just walking and enjoying the sea air.
I always make sure I walk by the Royal Pavilion, with it's fabulous oriental spires, just so that I can pretend for a moment that I am somewhere far more exotic than the south coast of England. It always reminds me fondly of a photograph of me and Carlo that is hanging on the wall at home, taken in 2001, standing outside the Pavilion, clutching each other and laughing in the freezing gale force winds.
I spend the rest of my time wandering around The Lanes, a charmingly bohemian array of narrow streets, full of cafes, quirky shops and brightly painted buildings. You never know what you might find for sale amongst the wonderful silver jewellery, vintage clothes and organic cafes.
Alas, my day out in Brighton finished with a downpour in the most traditional English fashion so it was a quick dash back to the car and a short trip up the motorway until I arrived back home in time for crumpets and tea..

14 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, yet another place that I need to see...thanks for taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one would think you get enough of pebbly beaches in Pos... ;) Of course, Brighton is completely different and it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - a really good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks once again for stirring happy memories for me! Having spent a large part of my life in South East England. Brighton is somewhere I am also very familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those special memories of your time in Brighton.
    Memories do light up our lives and gives flashes of joy , of times and people and places from our past.
    Carry them with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely place and lovely memories.
    dollyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello ! I love in dear old Brighton after spending years in nz and ozz its very different here! nice blog, I found you through fresholi! Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love to hear and see your trips to England [and of course Italy] The photos almost put you there! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya

    I am not as often in Brighton as I wish. I love the place as well, especially in the winter when it's not so packed (it's not like swimming in the sea there is an option anyway). Glad you are having a good time in the UK, miss you on Fresholi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you ended up deciding to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rotten devil, you never came to say hello! You wait 'til I tell Aunty Lizzie.

    Sniff

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so absorbed by your blog. Thanks for sharing just beautiful pictures. I was raised overseas until college. I miss it terribly. We used to take holiday to UK. Although I have not been to Brighton, the pictures are just breathtaking and they take me back to years past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! I've enjoyed reading about your time back in England and your memories.

    You brought back a fun memory for me also when you talked about the sack-cloth bags. I have not thought about these sacks for ages. We used slide down this huge slide (somewhere in Massachusetts) as kids. I remember climbing up the tall ladder, carrying the sack with one hand, while trying not to fall, and then flying down that slide.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...