Wednesday, November 17

Spaghetti allo Scoglio

10 days without pasta! 10 days without an Italian meal!But there's a great food market just outside my brother's place and finally I gave in to the temptation. Can an Italian meal taste the same as it does in Italy when all the ingredients are bought and cooked in England?
Example No.1: Spaghetti allo Scoglio:

Ingredients for 2 people (bought fresh at the market):
2 smashed garlic cloves
extra virgin olive oil
200g cherry tomatos
300g clams and mussels
1 medium calamaro (squid)
200g prawns
a handful of chopped parsley
200g spaghetti
a splash of white wine

Chuck the squashed garlic in a big pan, add some olive oil (and a bit of salt and pepper too if you like) and put it on the hob.
When the garlic has a light suntan throw in the shellfish then the squid (cleaned and cut into rings}, the prawns, the parsley and everything else on the list..
Give it all a stir and watch as the shellfish start popping open. When they are all open the sauce is ready.

Do make sure you remember to boil a pan of salted water to cook the spaghetti in. When the pasta is cooked (al dente please, not limp and soggy) strain it and add to the sauce. Give it all a good stir over the hob so that it mixes well...
Stick it all on a couple of plates and eat..just make sure you have some nice crusty bread on hand to mop up the sauce afterwards. Buon appetito!
By the way, this tasted just right, just as it would do back in Italy!

9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!
    I had a hard time finding real Italian ingredients in Southampton. Waitrose had the best choice. But I couldn't find fresh yeast to make pizza anywhere nor finely cut veal for involtine or bracciole either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoah, that looks fantastic! I am not a huge seafood fan, but my DH would love this. I'll show him the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delish BUT ... do my eyes deceive me? Is that pasta Turkish?
    dollyna

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, Dollyna, turkish spaghetti is good too!
    Scintilla, I couldn't find live yeast, but I remember getting it from the deli counter in Sainsburys once a few years ago..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe you resisted Pasta for 10 days!! I can get all the ingredients here .. :-) Pleased it did taste like it does in Italy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turkish pasta ... hmmm ...
    I say enjoy ethnic food at the fullest as you know you'll be having all the pasta you can think of once you return.
    dollyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good! I'm almost drooling. Off to the seafood market later today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're about to leave for 3 weeks in Thailand and Australia and I plan to avoid all Italian food if at all possible while I'm away. I'm sooo sick of pasta and pizza. Can't wait to load up on tons of Asian food, Greek food, Roast lamb, meat pies, Lebanese food and basically all the food I miss from Australia (and of course Thai food in Thailand - yum!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...