Monday, August 12

Our summer garden

Real summer starter late this year. It didn't really get hot until the end of June so thee has been much less beach and canoe activity than usual. But, then again it hasn't really mattered because we' ve been rediscovering the delights of outdoor living and getting to grips with having an amazingly productive garden.

Eggplants, onions, garlic, French beans, borlotti beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, peppers, corn..and that's just the veggies! I had no idea that it was like this and Carlo certainly didn't tell me!

 

I am starting to wake up in the morning and wander around the garden to see what's new or what is ready to eat. Nonno is here every morning, pottering around and taking care of things and often leaves a bucket of veggies outside the door.

The lady in the fruit and vegetable store gives me suspicious looks when I pass as I have stopped shopping there after a loyal 15 years..but there is really no need. (See above photo for an idea of the amount of zucchini we suddenly had to get through!)

We have plans for the garden..at the moment every bit of it has food growing in it apart from the entranceway which is a beautiful riot of flowers. The only thing missing is a piece of lawn...grass...sigh, how I miss the green grass of home! It's going to take a bit of convincing Nonno, but were going to battle and beg for a bit of lawn in front of the house for next year.

How I've missed the smell of freshly cut grass!

 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That's an amazing garden! Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your garden sounds fabulous and your entryway is gorgeous! Yes, I agree everyone needs a bit of grass at their home - ah the smell of cut grass! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! it's amazing more people don't make use of their yards/gardens like this. I can't wait to have earth again...as annoying as the abundance can be, nothing beats the taste or the savings of homegrown food

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful new way of life you have since you moved DOWN to your new house :-) and it all looks fabulous.

    YOu want some Lawn , you can have mine , I would certainly swap with you ,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Would love to have a garden like that, even without a lawn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...