Wednesday, August 14

Recipe from the garden

I thought it might be fun every now and then to post a recipe using ingredients from the garden. So first up is a very quick and easy one, Spaghetti Positano, which was taught to me by a friend, Antonio, who is a chef in a big hotel here in town.
We have loads of tomatoes at the moment and for this recipe you need one big pomodoro insalata per person. I found mine in the greenhouse. I also found some garlic hanging in there too which had grown a couple of months ago so I grabbed a couple of pieces. There is heaps of basil growing in front of the terrace so I picked a few leaves and also a small chilli pepper*.
Unfortunately I don't have a spaghetti tree handy so that and the parmeggiano is store bought. That's all you need. Grate a hunk of the Parmesan cheese and put it aside. Now chop the tomatoes into dice size pieces...
what we need to do here is literally melt the tomatoes. Put some olive oil in a pan, smash the garlic and add that and the chilli pepper too and wait till the oil gets really hot. Tip the tomatoes into the pan, they should sizzle, stir them and after about a minute grab a potato masher and mash them like this:
At this point I add the grated Parmesan and let it bubble another minute....that's pretty much it...oh. You need to cook the pasta too obviously, then mix it all together, decorate with some basil and a sprinkling of Parmesan and Bobs your Uncle!
Nom nom..
*Re the chilli pepper. I'm pretty sure it grew in the garden at some point in the past but I actually nicked it from the storeroom.

12 comments:

  1. that's what's for dinner tonight!!!
    How many tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big ones...pomodoro insalata..not sure of name in English!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They call them beefsteak tomatoes here. no idea why!

    That looks scrumptious...ah I think pasta may be on the menu tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this new addition to your blog. Also follow you on Facebook to get my Positano daily photo fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Even my dad tried this yesterday and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it , and glad your dad did tomato. The big tomato is a Beefsteak tomato here ,,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I am looking forward to eating the yummy tomatoes when I visit Positano in Sept.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...