Wednesday, September 4

Recipe from the garden

We've got a lot of basil in the garden. It grows in pots around the terrace, along the pathway between the eggplants and the peppers, under the apricot tree and here too:
So obviously I've been making a lot of pesto this summer. It's really easy, just get a couple of handfuls of basil leaves, a couple of cloves of garlic (I just had to google 'how do you call a piece of garlic' doh!), some pine nuts and you're supposed to use pecorino cheese but I don't have any so I'm going with parmesan.

 I don't weigh anything for this recipe, I go by how it tastes and add more as I go along. All you need to do is blend the ingredients together and add a slug of olive oil as you blend. I used a stick blender. And do it in the garden. You'll probably find that it keeps jamming up the blender at first , but just clean it out of the blades and keep blending.
Eventually you will get a beautiful little bowl of fresh pesto. Now to keep it green pop it in the freezer until later. (You can also freeze it long term)
Now to make a more interesting meal we are going to add a few more things. I nearly left it too late to do this recipe, the green beans were almost all gone, but a found a few.
Ideally you'd want a few more beans than this...but the whole point of these recipes for me it to make meals out of what I find in the garden, rather than climb up the mountain to the nearest shop, so a handful of green beans it is...
And some potatoes. Peel and chop the potatoes into cubes, top and tail the beans and cut in half, then put them on to boil together. After 2 or 3 minutes add pasta to the same pot. You want the pasta to cook together with the potatoes and beans. (I use about 80-100 grams per person and alter the amount of potatoes and beans depending on how many people I'm cooking for.)
While this is cooking you can take the pesto out of the freezer. Once the pasta is cooked, drain out the water and just mix the pesto into the saucepan. You may want to add some more olive oil.
The best thing about this dish is that even if you haven't got a garden full of basil you can go buy some ready made pesto and cheat!
Pasta con pesto, fagiolini e patate:
It tastes good on the beach too.
Inspiration for this recipe was found at Misya.

5 comments:

  1. It seems so strange to me to have potatoes with pasta, it's usually either or! I have to give this a try though, seems easy enough:) This is a great blog post series btw, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love pasta with potatoes and pasta with green beans and pasta with pesto ... but I've never had them all together. Looks fabulous! And I second Annika's comment ... love this new series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids make this at Uni. Saves them washing more than one pot! Lazy things (took after their Mum 'cause we had it last night too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks girls! Rosa, you taught them well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...