Tuesday, October 8

Fire in the Pine forest: One year later

  Last year there was a devastating fire that lasted for days and tore over the mountain destroying the beautiful pine forest in Montepertuso.


 During the day smoke billowed and the drone of Canadairs and fire helicopters was constant and everybodys gaze was turned upwards instead of towards the sea.
The other day I received another request (loving these requests, send me more!). Aloma asked me what the pine forest looked like now, over a year after the fire. So this morning, totally unprepared for a walk in the woods I decided to go and have a look around.
Just walking from the little car park before Montepertuso towards the forest you can see the damage already..
 It helps to look the other way every now and again as the view is much prettier!
Weather-wise it looked like it might rain, there were storm clouds gathering and I could hear the occasional clap of thunder..but it seemed quite far away so I carried on..
 I sat on the edge of the cliff  for a bit and looked at the road below me...
 This is where you tell the kids 10 million times to stay away from the edge and walk slowly and carefully!
 There are still a lot of signs of the fire, blackened trunks, some dead trees, but there is a lot of green up there too.
 Quick, another look at that view again...
 Then I met Gennaro who was also taking a walk up there. Somehow we got onto the subject of caves (if you've been reading this blog for a long time you'll know I love caves). Gennaro knows the mountain like the back of his hand, he told me about caves that I had never heard of before. He also gave me a lot of directions on how to find them.
 The thunder was getting closer so we started walking back together. But then Gennaro stopped and pointed up.."the cave up there, have you seen that one?" I hadn't, but I certainly wanted to. He gave me directions, "follow this pathway until you get to the big rocks, then go right and up, it's just up there." It sounded easy enough so I decided to try...
 Up past the big rock and I realized there was actually a trail marked out with piles of small rocks and a red stripe every now and then. I followed them. It started raining. I carried on.
(See the sunlight through the hole in the mountain?)
 But it got wetter and slippier and steeper and I kept losing the way. I arrived at an area where the pathway was too deteriorated to carry on alone so made the (sensible) decision to turn around and go back.
 It was further than I thought. And about ten minutes after I arrived at home the thunderstorm arrived.
I started out on a forest fire damage walk and ended up on a cave hunt. Next time I will find a cave...and it won't rain...and I'll take someone with me..wanna come too?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update. We were in Positano during those terrible fire last year, I am so happy to see some new green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was raining most of the time when I stayed in Nocelle in October last year therefore I never walked the Path of the Gods as I had hoped, and never saw the fire damage. I may never have noticed anyway since I would have been looking at the gorgeous view to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was great. Yes I'm very interested in seeing the caves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have had a lot of forest fires in the last few months here in the states, but they make a way for new growth to happen. 3-5 years later we have green fields, wild flowers, and new trees springing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have had a lot of forest fires in the last few months here in the states, but they make a way for new growth to happen. 3-5 years later we have green fields, wild flowers, and new trees springing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we get back there you'll have to show me some of these caves!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...