Monday, February 3

Recipe from the garden: Orrechiette con Broccoli

It's been a while since my last recipe, but hey it's winter and not a lot is growing at the moment.
But the other day I saw that we had some broccoli sprouting (at last) and decided to make one of my favourite pasta dishes of the moment.
So get yourself out into the garden* and gather some broccoli.
 *garden AKA supermarket
Now, I don't claim to make these dishes the 'proper' Italian way, this is my way of doing it and I'm sure a lot of Italian cooks will be shaking their heads going, 'no no no, not like that!" But, this is how I like it and I get no complaints from the hungry men in the garden that gobble it all up at lunchtime.

So..boil or steam your broccoli until it is tender, but not too mushy and then roughly chop it into smaller edible sized pieces.
 In a frying pan heat up some olive oil, throw in a crushed garlic clove (we've still got a few hanging in the greenhouse so that's another garden ingredient) and a couple of salty anchovies. (Chilli pepper is optional, I normally use it but this time was cooking for kids so didn't add it.) Stir.
 When the anchovies are melted throw in the cooked broccoli. Stir.
 Now this is the part that the Italians would possibly frown on....(Oh, by the way get your pasta boiling now if you haven't already! ) I add in a handful of grated Parmesan for extra flavour and also a slug of extra virgin olive oil so it's not too dry.
 When the pasta is ready mix it all up while still on the hob..I usually add about half a cup of the pasta cooking water to any sauce adn then cook it for an extra minute while stirring.
 Now do as they do in Puglia: garnish your dish with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs, it might sound odd but it works I promise.. Now sit, eat and enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Yummy I would say. Yes good idea to save some pasta water. And they always add the Pasta to the sauce.. :-) We would live this ..thanks for sharing. You certainly are blogging well...it s winter ..and as you say. NOT a lot happening. ..Have a great week. :-) ..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make that a lot too except without bread crumbs but will have to try it that way sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! You're so fortunate to be living in an area where you can still garden!! Our gardens are frozen and covered in a foot of snow right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your blog.. Great colors & theme.Broccoli is my favorite I'm sure it tastes awesome.



    Workshop Taarten Maken & Workshop Chocolade Maken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Articles and content in this section of the website are really amazing. Great ideas indeed! I will surely keep these in my mind!

    french cooking recipe & easy to cook recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...