Monday, August 25

Climbing Mount Epomeo (Ischia)

Of course we couldn't leave Ischia without climbing the highest mountain on the island. But, then again it was rather hot, so we cheated and drove most of the way up. We stopped at a lookout point halfway up to admire the view:
The bay of Sant'Angelo below:
At the end of the road there was a mossy banked pathway that gently led upwards. You can actually hire horses to take you up to the top, but I doubt Holly would have liked that very much.
The pathway became narrower...
And then so narrow that it was more like walking through a drain...
Until suddenly it widened out again and we were up in the clouds. An old abandoned house stood there, surrounded by wildflowers and eddying clouds.


The top of the mountain was a real craggy peak. I watched them bound up like two mountain goats..
We were way above the clouds and could see for miles..
You know that feeling when you suddenly realize how high you are and have to suddenly sit down and grab hold of anything you can find? Yeah, that happened....
But every now and again the clouds parted and the sun shone through, giving us glimpses of the island below..


Sitting with my head in the clouds...
On the way back down we took a chance and stopped off for dinner at a restaurant called L'Arca, which seemed to hang off a rock on the side of the road. The view was amazing, we arrived just in time for the sunset and the food was excellent too. Highly recommended to refuel and reward yourselves for climbing a mountain!

8 comments:

  1. I give you and your family a lot of credit for undertaking that climb. I lost my breath just thinking about how thin the air must be up there! Pictures and scenery are just beautiful! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I arrived on this page by means of a path too complicated to relate. (You looked at my leopard photo 18 months ago . . . ) Great blog! I was on a hiking trip in Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast earlier this month, so visiting your blog was a happy way to relive some of those memories. AND, I loved your "Happy" post and video and have shared it with the people who did the hiking with me. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooow! Amazing views... I think nobody knows this when going to Ischia, just for the baths...
    But I love nature and you just gave me a big reason to go back to Ischia next summer!
    Btw I'd love if you could tell about this with a short comment on Ischia's page of my travel website, Gadders!
    Keep doing it amazingly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that I am not the only one who takes a break from blogging! And it makes catching up here much easier ;) I love your zest for life-- the last year or so we've been trying to get out more and see more of Long Island and New England in general while it is not as interesting as southern Italy might seem to me, it reminds me to enjoy where I am and to appreciate its uniqueness. Thanks for providing the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good blog and this place seems to be a great location for adventurous seeker's..

    Turkey Tour Packages

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Italy and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The expats on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. They must also speak English fluently and can be buyers or renters for their homes. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how lucky you truly are! We travelled through Italy and one of the places we stopped off was
    Positano.....dreamy Positano. I could not have imagined there was such a place on earth. Thanks for
    sharing your pics, it has made me homesick again to visit.
    Ciao, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lucky you truly are! We travelled through Italy and one of the places we stopped off was
    Positano.....dreamy Positano. I could not have imagined there was such a place on earth. Thanks for
    sharing your pics, it has made me homesick again to visit.
    Ciao, Anita.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...